One of the most interesting conversations we’ve recently had on the TeamGantt #reading-room Slack channel is what each of us had on our reading list, whether they’re to-reads or books we’re currently reading. The choices ranged from fiction to spiritual literature to non-fiction, which gave us the opportunity to share and discuss books we’re interested in or would recommend to one another.
On any other day, we’d share interesting articles related to the work we did (e.g. design, branding, marketing).
Though our day-to-day schedule may seem pretty hectic, it’s good to know that reading continues to be a part of the team’s daily routine.
Besides the joy of discovery and imagination, reading offers significant benefits that affect physical, emotional, and mental health that enable us to do the work we need to do. In fact, public figures like Warren Buffet, Steve Jobs, and Oprah Winfrey have attributed their success to their unbreakable habit of reading each day.
If you’re looking to add a new book to your bookshelf or want to know what tickles our fancy, check out our current list of books to read:
1. John, co-founder of TeamGantt, does most of his reading on the YouVersion app, a simple ad-free Bible that allows you to take God’s word wherever you go.
2. Creative director Brandon’s favorite books include Dan Millman’s Way of the Peaceful Warrior, which shares Millman’s story of learning from his unexpected mentor, nicknamed “Socrates,” who he met at an all-night gas station. Other books on his list include The Tender Bar by J. R. Moehringer and Moneyball: The Art of Winning an Unfair Game by Michael Lewis.
3. Nathan’s reading stack clearly shows his interest in honing his existing skill set as designer and co-founder of TeamGantt, while getting better at his hobbies. He’s currently reading Work Rules! by Laszlo Bock, who works as head of People Operations at Google. The book gives readers an insider’s look at how Google as a company operates and the factors that have led to their reputation as one of the best places to work in the world.
4. Meredith, Director of Administration and mom to two, has some of the classics on her bookshelf: Llama Llama Red Pajama, Dr. Seuss’ Green Eggs and Ham, the Bible, and The Magic Treehouse series. She’s currently reading Healing the New Childhood Epidemics: Autism, ADHD, Asthma, and Allergies: The Groundbreaking Program for the 4-A Disorders.
5. Jason, who works with design and video at TeamGantt, considers The Martian by Andy Weir and C. S. Lewis’ works such as Mere Christianity and The Problem of Pain as his favorites. On his to-read list are Adolfo Kaminisky: A Forger’s Life by Sarah Kaminisky, Between Heaven and Hell: A dialog somewhere beyond death with John F. Kennedy, C.S. Lewis, and Aldous Huxley, Time Salvager by Wesley Chu, and Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson.
6. Jake, one of our engineers, currently has Your Baby’s First Year, John Piper’s Don’t Waste Your Life, Illuminate by Nancy Duarte, Three Men in a Boat by Jerome K. Jerome, and That’s Not My Mermaid by Fiona Watt on his book shelf.
7. I personally recommend The Doodle Revolution by Sunny Brown, which provides the tools and concepts to create and express your ideas, expand your thinking, and communicate better when working with others. For some much needed down-to-earth inspiration to continue pursuing your passion and doing the work you’re meant to do, go for Elle Luna’s The Crossroads of Should and Must. Finally, Chris Guillebeau’s The $100 Startup gives people stories of how ordinary folks use their creativity, skills, and purpose to earn a living doing what they love to do.
8. Ishmael, our newest member of the development team, is currently reading Family Shepherds by Voddie Baucham Jr. but also recommends His Majesty’s Dragon by Naomi Novik and Words of Radiance by Brandon Sanderson.
Q: What’s on your reading stack? Share your favorite titles, of any genre, in the comments.
Planning Your Projects Can Be Easier
Thousands of people from over 60 countries use TeamGantt to plan, track, and manage their projects! Join them in making project planning an easier part of your life.Learn More